February 28, 2015 by Laird
If you want to improve at writing, you must read and you must take apart what you read. I give you a list of seven remarkably talented contemporary authors. Read them, take their words apart, and you’ll be a better writer.
In no particular order:
1. Livia Llewellyn–revolutionizes erotic horror as Barker did in his heyday.
2. Kelly Link–possibly the quintessential weird fiction author working. Of a measure with Jeff VanderMeer, Michael Cisco, and Brian Evenson.
3. Victor LaValle-you won’t encounter a more harmonious marriage of lit and horror.
4. John Langan–king of metahorror and living proof that paragraphs are overrated.
5. Glen Duncan–among the top prose stylists alive.
6. Stephen Graham Jones–is his own genre at this point. Does werewolves better
7. Sofia Samatar–reclaiming and revitalizing the fairytale and the legendary.